Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy Birthday My Not-So-Baby Girl!

As also mentioned in an earlier post, our beautiful daughter had her second birthday a few weeks ago. I still like to call her "Baby Girl" - it's been her nickname since she was born. But, she is not so much of a baby anymore, and is turning into the quite the rambunctious little girl.

This year was a bit exceptional in that we had not just one, but two parties for her. Her actual birthday fell on a Wednesday, so we always like to do her parties on a weekend, when my family can come in from out of town. However, with my mom's worldly travels, the first weekend we considered wouldn't work out - and the next weekend was Mom's surprise party. So, we decided to have supper here at home during the week with Jared's family - and we celebrated with my family while we were at my mom's for her party (that was a busy weekend!). 

Now, two parties meant twice the work for me - as in two cakes! I decided for the first one to go simple. Pink fondant with green writing. There was only going to be a few of us, so I didn't want to make a massive cake and end up throwing most of it out. The second one, I contemplated doing Diego, since Shaela LOVES him (I think it's her first official crush). But, with preparations for Mom's party also happening at the same time, I just didn't have the energy for that. So, for her second cake, I opted for a ladybug. The only thing he was missing was antennas. I had planned to buy some black licorice to use for those and forgot....but he still looked pretty cute! 

Now, a few weeks later, I still can't believe that it's been two years since Shaela was born. She is such a joy in our lives and brings many smiles throughout each day. She loves to mimick her big brother, she can take him down when she needs to, which is hilarious to watch given that she's so much smaller than him! She loves her baby dolls and playing tea party, and is already becoming quite the girly girl - she oohed and ahhed the loudest over all the pretty clothes she got for her birthday - much more so than any of the toys! She is sweet and caring, and so polite. I love her to pieces, and no matter how big she gets, she'll always be my "Baby Girl"! 

At her first party - waiting to open gifts


Her new Dora chair from Grandma Folkerts - this one was a bit hit too!


"Ooooo - SHIRT!"


Getting ready to blow our her candles.


The first cake.


Yummy!


Opening gifts at her second party.


More excitement over new clothes.


A new sweater from Mom and Dad.


The second cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment