Saturday, August 7, 2010

Benadryl The Wonder Drug

Let me preface this post by saying that I really, really, really HATE having allergies. They are a pain in my sinuses - literally! And I have prayed and prayed that none of our kids would get them. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's Thursday evening and I'm in the kitchen about to start making supper. I'm in a bit of a rush since we were meeting our realtor at 6:30 to look at yet more houses. While I'm busy working, Jared took the kids outside to play while he did a bit of cleaning up in the yard. I can see them playing on the swingset out the kitchen window and Xavier is standing at the top of the slide when he starts SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. Jared runs over to him and I can see him swatting at something before he rounds up both kids and brings them inside. I realize that Xavier has been stung, but by what, we aren't sure.

Once inside, Jared points out the sting - right above my poor little man's lip! I inspect the sting to make sure there is no stinger left in his face and thankfully, no sign of one. So, I got out an ice cube and wrapped it in a clean cloth and explained to Xavier that we'd have to hold the ice on his face to make sure it didn't swell. We was such a trooper and you could tell the ice felt good because he had no problem at all leaving it there. Jared switched spots with me so that he could keep icing Xavier's lip while I finshed making supper. Not even ten minutes later and we could tell we were losing a battle with the swelling. Not only was Xavier's lip getting fat, but inside his mouth was swelling and his cheek was getting puffy.

I had visions of having to rush to the emergency room when I had a brainwave - what do I do when my allergies break out??? Take Benadryl! I've tried a few other brands of allergy medications and NONE of them work like Bendryl do. The only downside is that it can make you sleepy - but so does the shot they give you at the hospital when you have to go, so I figure it's good stuff it it works the same. Anyway...to make a long story not quite so long, Jared walked with Xavier to Safeway to pick up some children's Benadryl and ask the pharmacist if/when we should go to the hospital. If after 24 hours the swelling was still there, we were to take him in. Thankfully, a dose before supper, a few more minutes of ice and another dose before bed and Xavier was fine by morning. It was such a huge relief to know that the Benadryl worked! I will, however, be mentioning this reaction to our pediatrician at Xavier's 4 year check up in a couple weeks and we'll see what he says about it. It may mean another visit to the allergist is in order.

As for what stung Xavier? It turned out to be a bee. They had started building a nest inside the pole of our swingset! So, needless to say, we kept the kids inside all day yesterday and this afternoon Jared went to Walmart and bought some Raid. Worked like a charm! :) Sorry bees - you might make great tasting honey, but your hive and my child's play structure are not compatible!

No comments:

Post a Comment