Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Weight Loss Update

After running for a few weeks and not seeing much difference on the scale, I decided to start counting calories to see where I could improve my eating. I pretty much knew before I started that it's the snacks that kill me - I LOVE to bake. And I LOVE to eat it afterwards! But, cookies aren't exactly healthful snack food. Especially when you eat ten a day. 

Now, I've always vowed that I would never go on any sort of 'diet' since I want my weight loss to be something that I can maintain long term. And I've always been intimidated about counting calories, since I make a lot of things from scratch and just felt like it was too much work. However, after doing it for a few days, I have found that I have a lot more freedom - and a LOT less guilt! - by figuring out how many calories are in my meals and my snacks. Now, instead of bingeing on junk and just saying "oh well", I pay attention to how many calories I've had in my meals and if I have a couple hundred left at the end of the day, I can eat a cookie or two without feeling guilty, since I know I'm not over my limit for the day. It's been a great way to hold myself accountable - and the first week I started I lost 3.2 lbs!!! Talk about motivation to keep going! 

My second week didn't go quite as well and it's because we went camping and I wasn't as strict with the snacks. Who can resist smores when you're camping? It's a staple of the outdoors! I weighed in before we left and I was down another 2 lbs, but after coming back from camping, I had gained one back. Which brings my two week weight loss total to 4.2 lbs. My goal is 2 lbs a week, so I'm doing good so far. And I'm proud of the fact that I've been sticking with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment